Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Is oDesk a real way to Work From Home?


I have signed up for oDesk, taken the tests, downloaded the monitoring software and applied for the jobs.
To date....no interviews, no bites, no favorites....nothing.
The jobs I have applied for...article writing (3), blog writing (2), fast turnaround content writer, graphic illustrator, and personal assistant (2).
All are jobs I am fully qualified to do and I think I'm a pretty fast and very thorough worker. But, I haven't gotten a nibble.
I decided to check the other candidates that had posted for the same jobs...a few were over qualified, some had similar qualifications, but most of the other candidates wanted far less money per hour than I listed (and I was using the median average of other jobs I have held and reducing that by 25%.)
I noticed there were quite a few providers, that had worked quite a bit, whose hourly rate was less than $1.50...some as low as 44 cents an hour. If you can work for that and make any kind of living, (though I think that only those workers who live in countries with lower costs of living would be able to make any kind of living at these wages), I know I can't pay many bills on those wages though.
Since I've yet to be hired, I can't honestly comment on what the work is like. I am going to keep trying to get a few jobs so that I can give an honest evaluation of this company.

No comments: